Speaking of my Grandma, she was my Christmas surprise. Probably the best surprise I've ever received. The girls and I had arrived from the airport. We were in the kitchen talking, when I see someone, out the of the c
orner of my eye, walking down the stairs. It took me a few moments to realize who it was. My Grandmother!!! Looking as beautiful and happy as ever. I was speechless for a few minutes. I'm sure that's difficult for many of you to imagine. What a beautiful site. I haven't seen her in over 7 years. And, of course, she's never met Neto and the girls.
My mom surprised my Grandma and I with early Christmas gifts, each in a red and green box with gold bows. Inside a paper rolled up, with instructions that we were to go for manicures and lunch on Monday. Just the two of us. What an awesome opportunity to 'make memories' as my Grandma Ralphs would say. And so we did. We both had manicures in an old, but beautifully decorated house...even Grandma was impressed.
Then we crossed the street to have lunch at the Kling Restaurant. I had chicken pot pie with 2 interesting-looking side dishes.
Grandma had a chicken salad sandwich with a marmelade on top of it. I was brave enough to try one of my side dishes, but regretted it as soon as it touched my tongue. Chow-Chow. A common Amish dish, and one I will not soon forget. Chills went through my body as I prayed that I would not be sick in front of my Grandmother. I didn't say anything to her about it, but she noticed that I didn't finish the 2 side dishes. I offered them to her. She loved them. In fact, we had to locate the recipes for them before heading home. Apparently, I don't get my delicate tastebuds from the Weinert side of the family.
Needless to say, the opportunity to spend time with Grandma and to have her meet my girls was a gift and a blessing I will not soon forget and surely one that I will treasure for a lifetime. I don't know a girl as lucky as I am to have 4 AMAZING grandparents.
Grandma left o
n Thursday, and Brad and Neto arrived on Friday. We had a birthday party for the girls on Saturday. The girls wanted to have some kids at their party, so mom invited a couple of families from church. We had a pinata, as well as cake and ice cream. Lots of fun!!!
Another highlight of our trip has been a trip to TelHai, where mom works. We went yesterday morning to visit and hand out presents to the elderly residents there. The girls were a bit hesitant at first, but were quick to warm up. They handed out the presents, then helped them to open their presents. They shook and held hands. And then they sang.
.."Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer," "Dale, Dale, Dale," and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas!" We ended up going to two more sections where the girls sang again and again. We all had a great time.
Christmas was a lot of fun. The girls had a great time opening their presents...Barbies and accessories, little purses, candy, Dora and Diego playsets, etc. etc. And Brad was kind enough to give us this blogspot, along with some instruction.
We hope this finds all of you happy, healthy, and enjoying your holidays!!!
1 comment:
Hey Jenn! Sounds like you guys had a blast! That's great that you got to see Grandma Weinert, I know it's been a while since you've seen her! It was fun to hear the girls sing back and forth on Skype! That was great.
Post a Comment